SOME SITES OF INTEREST

Church St.Maria delle Grazie Convent and Church St. Francis Church St.Maria della Lobra
Church of Annunziata Church of St. Teresa Hill and Monastery Deserto
Convent-school SS. Rosario Church St.Maria d. Misericordia Church of St. Agata
Mount St. Costanzo Punta della Campanella Quartiere and Torrione
the Cerriglio Castle of Massa Villa Rossi

Church of the Virgin of Graces 

It was the Cathedral of Massa Lubrense from its foundation (1512-1543) until 1797. It has a plan in the style of the 1500s and was completely rebuilt in 1760 by Bishop Bellotti and the Episcopio was added. 

The church has three aisles with transept and apse. Amongst the many pieces of art there are paintings of Cardisco and of Negroni. 

Noteworthy is the sacristy adorned by the ovals of the Bishops of Massa Lubrense and wooden furniture of the 1700s.  

Convent and Church of St. Francis 

In 1582, dedicated to the Virgin of Health, the church was built by the noble Liparulo family who also built the tower. Later the two buildings were annexed to the convent now occupied by Padri Minimi. 

In the church and in the sacristy there is an interesting majolica floor of the XVIII century; among the other artistic works there is a noteworthy wooden statue of the Virgin (XV century).

Church of the Virgin of Lobra 

This church of the 1500s is one of the most beautiful of the Surrentine Peninsula. It presents an artistic wooden caisson ceiling, religious furniture of the 1500s and 1700s, majolica floor and a fine marble altar. Noteworthy is a wooden crucifix on a altar-piece of the 1500s.  

On the 15th of August Feast day of the Assunta: procession on foot from the church the the port and then by boats, tasting of traditional food.

Church of the Virgin of the Annunciation 

Built in the 1400s, it underwent many changes up to the 1700s. It is interesting for the richness of the furniture, the floor and the magnificent altar in inlaid marble with angels and an oval elegantly carved. 

Located in the adjoining convent, there is a little diocesan museum, rich with sacred clothing.  

Church of St. Therese 

The church (XVII century), recently restored, presents valuable stuccoes, an interesting majolica floor of the XVIII century and a beautiful facade of 1689. 

In the attached conservatory of the Discalced Carmelite nuns there is an important collection of hundreds of wooden busts and arms containing relics of the saints martyrs of the beginning of Christianity coming from roman catacombs.

Hill and Monastery of "The Desert" 

The monastery and in particular its famous belvedere above the Gulfs of Naples and Salerno made this site one of the most celebrated of Campania. During the "Grand Tour" this was one of the most frequent stops. After the recent restoration, the monastery is reacquiring its ancient magnificence.  

Convent-school of SS. Rosario 

To the monastery, built during the first half of the XVIII century, is attached a church with two wide semicircular stairways. Both the majolica floor of the church and the cloister (with a majolica panel attributed to Chiaiese, famous Neapolitan majolica painter of the XVIII century) are worth a visit. Ask for permit at the Monastery entrance.  

Church of the Virgin of Mercy 

Recently restored, this church of the XVI century presents an interesting majolica floor with decoration of the 1700s, fine stuccoes and beautiful paintings of the same age. Noteworthy is one of Guido Reni's masterpieces, representing the Holy Family, given by the painter to the De Curtis family that gave him hospitality.  

Church of St. Agata 

The church (XVI century) has a late renaissance structure and is famous for the very precious altar attributed to the Florence School of the XVII century. 

It is a masterpiece, that has no equal in the region, with very fine and elaborate inlaid work of mother-of-pearl, lapis-lazuli, malachite and every type of precious marble. 

Mount St. Costanzo 

It is the highest hill of the territory of Massa and has two peaks. On top of the eastern one (486 m) the white small Chapel of St. Costanzo (XV century) stands out. Walking around the building you can enjoy great panoramas over both Gulfs and Monti Lattari. The other peak is not accessible, but the trails that go hillside (around) offer delightful views over the very close island of Capri.

Punta della Campanella 

The very tip of the Surrentine peninsula , vertex between the Bay of Naples and the Gulf of Salerno, is only 5 km away from Capri. Here there was the Greek Temple of Athena (Athenaion) later dedicated to Minerva (Promonturium Minervae). The few ruins nowadays visible belong to a roman villa of the I-II century. Few meters downhill there is Minerva Tower, built in 1334 and remade in 1567.  

The detail of the small sized head of Athena is an example of the terracotta production, coming from the votive hollow of the Sanctuary dedicated to the goddess and located at Punta Campanella (Municipality of Massa Lubrense). The statuette to which the head belongs, was produced in two separate parts, then joined. Together with other statuettes made of terracotta (4th-2nd century b.C), it is a votive object of the sanctuary located in Capo Ateneo, built by Ulysses. The detail shown represents Athena wearing an helmet; two terracotta tablets hold decorative ear-drop. The rendering of the oval face, recalls a nicely evolved style in the manufactory of terracotta.  

Ex convent of Jesuits and Torrione 

It was built at the beginning of the XVII century on the ruins of the Villa of the Queen Joan of Anjou (XV century) and dominates the ancient district of Guarazzano. Known as the Quartiere, it is connected with an arch to a massive defensive tower called Torrione.

the "Cerriglio" 

Since the XV century it has been the house of the De Martino family, one of whom, Ferrante, had the nickname of Rachione and this is the actual name of the district. 

Of interest is the colonnade in tuff with marble busts and the Ninfeo located at the end of the path. In the 1600s the Chapel of St. John the Baptist was adjoined.  

Castle of Massa (XIV-XVII century) 

Nowadays only the cylindrical tower and the trunk-pyramidal shaped bastion/tank that dominate the hill can be seen. At least four more bastions, with the muraglia (wall), enclosed the town of Massa of the 1300s. The castle was rebuilt in the present shape after the Turkish invasion of 1558.

Villa Rossi 

For its location, in front of Capri, this villa was chosen, in 1808, by Gioacchino Murat King of Naples to direct the victorious siege to the island occupied by the English. 

In the same villa (October 17th) their surrender was signed by Hudson Lowe, who some years later was the jailer of Napoleon on the Island of St.Helena.